Surely, Dad loves to eat, right? We think he’ll love this Chicken Tortilla Soup with Bonfire Smoked Sea Salt. For best flavor, make a batch the day before Father’s Day and serve it on Father’s Day — the smoky goodness will make his day, promise!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP WITH BONFIRE® SMOKED SALT
- 1 whole chicken (cut into pieces)
- 1/4 cup Bonfire Extra Bold Smoked Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can whole corn kernels
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- Season chicken all over with Bonfire Extra Bold Smoked Sea Salt. Bake for 45 minutes at 400˚ or until fully cooked. Let cool and remove all meat from the bones (you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs to save time, just season the same way).
- In a dutch oven, sauté green pepper, red pepper, onion and jalapeno for 15 minutes in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- The soup can be served right away, but it’s better if it sits overnight and the ingredients can meld together.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and fresh tortillas.
By Jimmy Tilton, 2012 SaltWorks Recipe Contest participant